Privacy Statement

Dundee Volunteer and Voluntary Action (“DVVA”) needs to collect and use certain types of information about individuals who come into contact with DVVA in order to carry out our work. DVVA is what is known as the ‘Controller’ of the personal data you provide to us. You can contact the Data Protection Officer.

What personal data will we collect?

DVVA will not collect any personal data about you unless you consent to this. Such information includes data such as your name, telephone number, address or email address.

You must be aware that in many occasions to enable us to provide you with a service we may require certain “necessary information” from you and if you do not provide that information we may not be able to provide you with the service.

Lawful processing of personal data

DVVA can process your information because you have given consent.

What we do with your data

DVVA regards the lawful and correct treatment of personal information as very important to successful working, and to maintaining your confidence.

DVVA will ensure that your personal information is treated lawfully and correctly.

Information and records will be stored securely and will only be accessible to authorised staff and volunteers.

Information will be stored for only as long as it is needed or required by statute and will be disposed of appropriately.

Your personal details will not be given to anyone outside DVVA without your consent unless it is necessary for us to do so, i.e. in order to comply with the law, with police investigations or it is determined that there is risk of significant harm to either yourself or another person.

There are circumstances where the law allows DVVA to disclose data (including sensitive data) without the data subject’s consent.

These are:

  • Carrying out a legal duty or as authorised by the Secretary of State
  • Protecting vital interests of an Individual/Service User or other person
  • The Individual/Service User has already made the information public
  • Conducting any legal proceedings, obtaining legal advice or defending any legal rights
  • Monitoring for equal opportunities purposes – i.e. race, disability or religion (in the form of statistics and not in any way that identifies you.)

DVVA may share data with other agencies such as the local authority, Health organisations, funding bodies and other voluntary agencies (in the form of statistics and not in any way that identifies you.) You will be made aware how and with whom the information will be shared.

How long do we keep your data?

Information will be stored for only as long as it is needed or required by statute and will be disposed of appropriately. Your personal data will be destroyed if you do not renew your annual membership.

What are your rights?

All Data Subjects have the right to access the information DVVA holds about them. Individuals may exercise the right by making a written ‘subject access request’ (SAR). However, subject access goes further than this and an individual is entitled to be:

  • told whether any personal data is being processed;
  • given a description of the personal data, the reasons it is being processed, and
    whether it will be given to any other organisations or people;
  • given a copy of the personal data; and
  • given details of the source of the data (where this is available).

You have the right to receive a copy of the personal information that DVVA holds about you, and to demand that any inaccurate data be corrected or removed.  You have the right to withdraw consent at any time, where relevant.

If you wish to access a copy of any personal data being held about you, you must make a written request for this.  To make a request, please complete a Personal Data Subject Access Request Form, which can be obtained from the Data Protection Officer. If a SAR is received, DVVA will respond within one month.

If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact us to have the matter investigated. Contact the Data Protection Officer at DVVA.

If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are not processing your personal data in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office